Sunday, January 18, 2009

Our Campfire Adventures

How do my kids spend their days with their Dad? Well probably a bit different than other kids their age. We are so fortunate that Neil can stay home with the boys! I know they are well taken care of and learning something new everyday. They work on scholastics but he has taught them so much more than I can. They know how to use tools (and believe me, I have had several instances of the take apart game, surprise, surprise, no not really), Karsyn learned to ride his bike at 3 (without the training wheels), Parker learned to ride the big boy 4 wheeler by 2 (even know he has to lean way to the side to hit the gas pedal with his little tiny foot). They know the process of starting a campfire (I am not sure if this is good yet, hehe). We took the Rhino out yesterday and brought the hotdogs (forgot the marshmallows, oops), and took quite the ride and had a campfire. Karsyn told me, "Mom you must gather some rocks for the ring, and the kindling first, then we will get some bigger wood but not until the fire gets going a little bit." Ok sounds good to me. I was a Girl Scout but not until I was about 6 or 7ish. You see, we have a fire pit out in our back field that their Grampa Don and Aunt Sharon come over for regular cook outs while I am at work (yes, Neil already got the scolding for not taking more pics, but he did remind me that unlike me, the camera is not a permanent appendage from him). Anyhow, the boys are very lucky, because Neil is teaching them much more than I could/would, or should I say allowing them to do, and they are really learning life skills, common sense (which I seem to lack greatly sometimes), coordination (umm I will say no more, we all know how coordinated I am), self-confidence, and they are able to be boys with him. I just cringe when I see some of the things they can do, but nothing they do is really a detriment to their safety, just being a mom you know, I am way toooooo overprotective and motherly I suppose. So when we can't figure anything out for dinner, we call Grampa Don and he comes over with the hot dogs and marshmallows and we have a good ole time.


Click to play Outdoor Adventure #1
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

1 comment:

Granma Wicky said...

Looks like you all had a blast. What a fun day. All families should make time for their kids and not be so tied up with grown-up things. Kids don't stay little for very long. You blink and they have grown up and have children of their own and all of a sudden you are much older. I am so blessed with such a wonderful family. I love you all soooooo MUCH!