Saturday, July 26, 2014

Karsyn's first 5K



Neil and I have taken up running as a new hobby for about a year now, yes newbies.  So much to learn for sure and so much room to improve!!  We both decided to take fitness seriously about 3 years ago and went through the works with workouts from Insanity to P90 to T25 to lifting weights to finally running.  I should say now running and a mix of all of the above as well as changing our diets, the kids diets and trying to go mostly organic, non-GMO as well as my gluten allergy so I eat completely gluten-free and the fam does mostly too to save cooking extra meals.  I owe so much to Neil for all of his research into what I can eat and how to keep our family eating as healthy as we can.  He does most of the cooking and grocery shopping so he definitely deserves the credit.  He has spent many hours researching everything and has really found some great stuff, and has learned to cook gluten-free and non-GMO.  Thank you baby!! 

So on to what this post is about:  Karsyn  and his first 5k race.  He ran his first 5k with us this morning.  Or should I say we with him.  Neil and I have done many 5k and 10ks competitive and recreational and are planning to run a half-marathon soon.  They are so fun to run together as a couple but I tell you what: to run with your child is a new runner's high!!  Karsyn has been running for about 3 weeks is all with his dad so we are so very proud of him.  He is a very disciplined 9 year old and quite the perfectionist and daddy is also quite patient!!  You know when you first start running and your first race after mile 1-2 you say to yourself, "I will never do this again?"  Well he didn't say that, I asked him if he ever felt that way and he said, "No mom, why would I, I can't wait for the next race."  Kids, I love them so much!!!  They are amazing, positive, and remind me of the true meaning of life and how very blessed we are!!  Parker has taken up bike riding quite seriously and Logynn also loves to run and that will be for another post.

Grandpa Barry was there to send him of at the start and was there to cheer him across the finish line.  Thanks Grandpa!!  That meant the world to him and us and he knows that Nanny had to be out of town.  Thank you Grandma Wicky for coming at the crack of dawn to watch Logynn and Parker so they could stay in bed longer!!!  We missed you Robinsons.

The 5k was for a great cause: to help reconstruct the bike path (that we run/bike on very regularly) and to help a family with medical expenses which we know all too well about also.  Very great causes.

Congratulations Deano!!!!  You rocked it kiddo!!  Yes momma and daddy are pretty proud!!







No comments: